KZ EDX: Cheap for Cheap Audio God


 Good day, mates. I'm here again to do a review about this cheapest entry-level product from KZ, The KZ EDX. This is my first KZ IEM for a long time as I stay away from KZ products since ZSN pro due to lack of progression on their tuning. Don't get me wrong that I'm a hater, KZ ATE was my first IEM, I still regarded KZ ED16 as one of my favourite on their product range due to its balanced tuning. But as I keep progressing in this audio hobby, I already found my preference on tuning and tonality on some products from other chifi companies and KZ doesn't have anything to offer on it as they are still stuck on their typical tuning. I saw this product since last year and this is very popular among audio enthusiats as they praise its decent tuning and bang for buck offer and I have it right now due to a friend of mine who gave it to me as a present and at the same, he wants my opinion and impression about it.




 KZ EDX is the latest offering from KZ and currently the most affordable IEM in their entry-level product range as it is cost only at US$ 6.00. It has a single Dynamic Driver like their old ZS3 model.This is indeed to target on consumers who wants a decent sound and easy to drive ear gear from digital media players like smartphone.




The packaging is still a simple typical KZ cardboard box with a picture of the EDX at the front and list of specifications at the back. Its inside contents  are the pair of IEM earphones, a stock cable which is looks like a litz copper (mine's has a mic on it), a 2 pairs of ear tips( small and large ones) and some paper works like instruction manual and warranty card. This is a good set of accessories for an affordable price which is commendable.



The design of the shell is a simple one just like a typical in ear monitor shape that fits most of all ear sizes. It is made of plastic and quite satisfactory enough with its build quality. The front decal logo is somehow tacky on my liking. The comfort and fitting is adequate  enough as it sealed the ear suitably and the isolation is passable. Its connector is and old 2-pin one and I applauded on their decision to implement it once again as I have great dislike on the QDC-style connector as I view it as a flawed design (it's my opinion).



  And now, I will describe its sound quality,  It has a V-shape tuning with elevated bass and a lift on highs.

LOWS/BASS

The bass quality is a boomy one as it has some elevation on the mid bass area I notice it that in most stances it will cause some bass bleeding on the mids, It is an impactful and on have an average speed on its decay, It has good and noticeable rumble on the sub bass. I can say it that this is a bassy IEM that will be tickle the bassheads. This is very suitable to most genres like modern pop, electronic, RnB and hip-hop.

MIDS

The mids is recessed, yet acceptable resolving on its details and natural tonality. The vocals are more on balanced and in sufficient density as to have weight on it. Female vocals will more benefited on this one but sometimes a little bit shouty and harsh in some other tracks. The percussions and rhythm instruments are just on average resolution and detail and somehow it has satisfactory separation on one another.


HIGHS/TREBLE

The treble on this one is on the bright side, I feel some tinny characteristics on it. The  resolution is acceptable as you hear some details that will satifactory enough to most listeners but not on scale of trebleheaded preferences on seeking  microdetail and vivid treble decays.The extension is just average and somewhat lacking of air that I want. The cymbals and chimes are present sounds decent but somehow sounds artificially boosted.


SOUNDSTAGE and IMAGING

The size of soundstage  has an average width, has a sufficient depth, but still quite narrow on my standards.The layering quality is on average and imaging is adequate on basic panning of placements of instrument from left to right.

My thoughts on this one that EDX is a sufficient IEM with ample tonality and still on balanced side of tuning. I'm impressed on  KZ that they still able to produce an IEM with decent sounding on a dirt cheap price that will be more wallet-friendly to music lovers and starting audio enthusiasts. And undeniably, they still ruled the entry-level segment on the Chi-fi market. If you're looking for an audiophiliac reference tuning then this is not for you, look elsewhere. Cheers!



Pros:

- Very affordable to budget-conscious music lovers

- Decent tuning that versatile to almost known genres

- Removable cable that will extend its wear and tear usage and longevity of this IEM.

Cons:

-cheap feeling plastic construction material.

- Boomy Bass

- "Metallic tonality", unwanted peaks on treble region.

- Narrow soundstage.

- Sounds congested on fast,  complex multi-instrument tracks.



TRACKS TESTED:

Metallica - Fade to Black (24 bit/96KHZ MQA FLAC)

Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy (16 bit FLAC)

Destiny's Child - Bootylicious (16 bit FLAC)

Erasure - Love To Hate You (16 bit FLAC)

Crowded Houses - Don't Dream It's Over ( WAV)

America - You Can Do Magic (16 bit FLAC)

Roselia - Hidamari Rhodonite (16 bit FLAC)

Milli Vanilli- Girl You Know It's True (16 bit FLAC)

Wu Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M. ( 16 bit FLAC)

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room ( 24 bit/88.2 KHz)

Madonna - Like A Prayer (7" Remix/Edit) ( 24 bit/96 KHz FLAC)



Thank you, Mr. Berry White for this good present, I really appreciate your goodwill gesture, mate..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ALHAMBRA HEADPHONES REVIEW BY A PIMP NAMED SLICKBACK

Oriveti OD200: Sweet, Sonority and Luster One

THIEAUDIO HYPE 2: Exclusive Tonally Balanced Sounding One